Most users rely on ratings and reviews before installing an app. What does this tell us? In fact, all efforts in text and visual optimization can be offset by just one bad rating or negative review. Otherwise, the higher the star rating is, the more likely users are to download an app.
For example, according to an Alchemer report, moving from a 3-star overall rating to a 4-star can lead to a nearly 40% increase in users converting to downloads. On the other hand, ratings of 2-star and 1-star lead to almost zero % of installs.
In this article, we will dive into the importance of app store ratings and reviews, discuss best management practices, and share strategies for improving your app’s reputation. Paying close attention to app reviews is a great way to enhance user engagement and meet the needs of a wide range of target audiences. Let’s talk about this in-depth!
What Are App Ratings and Reviews?
App reviews and ratings are an independent and objective way to share users’ opinions about a particular app. On all the app stores, there’s a rating scale from one to five stars, which shows the quality of a mobile app. Also, it can be written reviews, where people share their feedback in more specific detail. The more satisfied a user is with the app, the higher the stars and better reviews they will give this product.
While user satisfaction translates to higher ratings and positive reviews across both platforms, the nuances of App Store and Google Play’s rating and review systems present distinct opportunities and challenges for app developers. Here are the main similarities and differences between AppStore and Google Play ratings and reviews.
Top 5 Similarities
- Star rating system: both platforms use a 5-star rating system to gauge user satisfaction.
- Text reviews: users can leave written reviews to elaborate on their ratings and provide feedback.
- Filtering and sorting: reviews can be filtered by rating, date, language, and other criteria.
- Developer response: developers can respond to reviews, addressing user concerns and building trust.
- App visibility: ratings and reviews influence app visibility in recommendations.
Top 5 Differences
- Regional variations: AppStore ratings and reviews vary by region, while Google Play app reputation depends on the region and device language of the user.
- App ranking: Text of reviews on Google Play can influence app indexing in search results.
- Review moderation: The Google Play moderation process typically takes about 24 hours for each review, while the App Store’s moderation usually takes around 2-4 days.
- Review length: Google Play allows longer reviews, offering more detail from users.
- In-app ratings and reviews: Google Play allows in-app ratings and reviews, offering more granular feedback.
In general, customers may write reviews based on their core experience with the app, including its functionality, design, usability, and overall value. They can quickly find out whether an app is worthwhile when exploring the Google Play Store or Apple App Store just by looking at its app rating.
Why App Store Ratings and Reviews Matter
Here’s a safe bet: at least once in your lifetime you’ve probably checked the positive reviews before making a decision. Why wouldn’t you? Over 70% of consumers will read at least one rating or review before downloading a free app. Reviews help us choose the best places to eat, the best clothes to wear, and the best cars to drive.
It is well known that reviews and ratings play a vital role in an app’s success. But what exactly is their importance?
To begin with, think about the significant impact of ratings and reviews in boosting your app to the top of search results. A strong overall rating, along with positive testimonials, functions as a symbol of trust and excellence, drawing in potential users who browse the extensive app store with careful interest. This can help build user trust and impact their choices to download.
Beyond the initial downloads, user reviews contain a wealth of valuable feedback. They give developers insight into the user experience, pointing out areas for improvement, discovering hidden strengths, and uncovering unmet needs. This feedback loop is essential for app development as it enables continuous refinement and optimization to ensure that apps surpass user expectations.
Therefore, for app developers, reviews provide valuable information on the user experience, functionality, and features of the app. They present a unique opportunity to collect candid, unfiltered feedback about your products in real-time. The challenge is that these reviews are public and become part of your overall brand and reputation. We will talk about how to cope with this challenge in the next paragraph.
Addressing Negative Reviews and Ratings
Negative reviews and low ratings can quickly turn away potential users and harm the app’s reputation. Because your app is an extension of your brand, this can actively work against your marketing and promotional efforts to drive user acquisition, ultimately costing you money.
Though negativity may sting, it holds a silver lining: the chance to learn and grow. Here’s how to transform even the harshest feedback into fuel for improvement.
The first step is uncovering the root cause. Are there challenges with a particular feature? Is the onboarding process overly difficult? Carefully examine the feedback to identify common themes and patterns. If there is, work on fixing the issue as soon as possible.
Next, approach the situation with professionalism and empathy. Acknowledge the user’s frustration with a proactive stance. Describe how you intend to solve the issues, including any necessary quick fixes, user-friendly interface modifications, or extensive feature overhauls. A strong commitment to improvement may significantly reduce negative effects and show that you are dedicated to ensuring consumer pleasure.
Don’t let the feedback sit in your inbox. Use it to drive positive change. Address the identified issues promptly, implement necessary changes, and monitor their impact on user engagement. Keep in mind that every critic is a potential beta tester, providing valuable insights into your app’s evolution.
Finally, complete the process by following up. Once the problem has been resolved, contact the user who raised it. Update them on the changes made in response to their feedback and show appreciation for their input. This act of openness can transform a negative situation into a positive one and also promote further valuable feedback.
Understanding the importance of app store ratings and reviews is crucial for the success of your mobile app. By actively managing your app’s ratings and reviews, focusing on user experience, and implementing strategies to improve your app store rating, you can enhance your app’s visibility, attract more users, and build a stronger reputation in the app marketplace.
Strategies for Improving Your App Store Rating and Reviews
To effectively manage your app store reputation, consider implementing these best practices:
- Monitor and respond to reviews. Regularly monitor and respond promptly and professionally. Thank users for their feedback, addressing concerns, and providing information on upcoming updates or improvements
- Encourage user feedback. Make it easy for users to leave ratings and reviews by providing in-app prompts and reminders. You can also use social media or email campaigns to encourage users to share their thoughts on your app. The truth is, it is hard to convince people to leave reviews. You can expect around 5-10% of users to leave a review even if they are dedicated customers of yours. But every single (real) review counts so don’t be discouraged!
- Implement user feedback. Actively respond to user feedback and make changes to improve the overall quality of your app and user experience. Show users that you are committed to solving their problems and enhancing the app. You can also inform the users about your changes based on their feedback. Don’t be embarrassed in asking the users to change their rating if you fixed/changed what they reported/asked – it’s typical behavior.
- Measure the impact of ratings and reviews. Use analytics tools to monitor the impact of your app store ratings and reviews on user acquisition, engagement, and other key performance indicators (KPIs).
- Run a review campaign. Launch a review campaign to encourage users to rate and review your app. This will help you collect more feedback and increase the average rating of your app.
Ratings and Reviews from Keyapp
We can all agree that positive app reviews are some of the most powerful marketing tools. Yet, surprisingly, approximately 44% (on Google Play) and 57% (on AppStore) of all apps available still don’t have any ratings. So, try adding a couple of quality feedback posts to your app. This way, not only will you be among the top 56% of apps that care, but also you’ll be tapping into the unparalleled source of fans, leads, and new customers willing to engage and promote your product even further.
You can increase app reviews through our service or improve the brand, trust, and reputation of your app. As you may know, Keyapp.top provides High-Quality Reviews with a 30-day guarantee. This service means that within 30 days from the moment of completing your order, we guarantee the availability of ordered reviews on the app page. If reviews are removed (this is possible due to store moderation), then we can repost them or refund you. If you would like to know more about our service, please watch our video on YouTube.
In summary, app store ratings and reviews play a critical role in the success of your mobile app. They provide valuable feedback and directly impact your app’s visibility, user acquisition, and overall reputation. At Keyapp.top, we understand the importance of ratings and reviews in app stores and strive to help our clients improve the reputation of their apps. Contact us today to learn more about our app promotion services and how we can help you get high-quality user reviews!